Sunday, September 17, 2006

Letter to His Sister

"But I have one want which I have never yet been able to satisfy; and the absence of the object of which I now feel as a most severe evil. I have no friend, Margaret: when I am glowing with the enthusiasm of success, there will be none to participate in my joy; if I am assailed by disappointment, no one will endeavor to sustain me in my dejection. I shall commit my thoughts to paper, that is true; but that is a poor medium for the communication of feeling. I desire the company of a man who could sympathise with me; whose eyes would reply to mine. You may deem me romantic, my dear sister, but I bitterly feel the want of a friend. I have no one near me, gentle yet courageous, possessed of a cultivated as of a capacious mind, whose tastes are like my own, to approve or amend my plans. How would such a friend repair the faults of your poor brother."
- Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
Miss you.

1 comment:

Gratia Domini said...

I cried--I miss you too.

"They had always been together, these two...He...had watched over her..."

"the unforgettable past, when Marguerite was "little mother"--the soother, the comforter, the healer, the ever-willing receptacle wherein he had been wont to pour the burden of his childish griefs, of his boyish escapades..."

"...she felt lonely and unhappy.

And now Armand was going away; she feared for his safety, she longed for his presence."

~Baroness Orczy

"your letter was so beautiful. I feel just that way about you: that we are not *only* [brother and sister]. It is an amazing and sort of doubly strong association to be linked instinctively (and by environment, early life, association, etc.) *and* by one's desire and reason. It is a rare relationship. I feel as though you have leaned down and lifted me up to where you were so many times...having an experience with someone else enriches it so much. You feel for them and yourself."

"I am sorry you left me crying. It is not that I am not happy--you must know--but because, for once, your leaving and the realization of your leaving came to me at the same moment and I could not help feeling how far you were going and how much we have together that we like to appreciate together, and that for a while we could not do that as directly. And I would rather feel badly (for that reason) than not feel that way. It is really such a cause of happiness to me."

~A.M.L.