Saturday, March 11, 2006

Flashing Lights in my Rearview Mirror

Well, I can no longer say that I've never been pulled over. Last night on the way back from Dr. Sillars' party, I was driving down a small street that I thought had been 7 East when all of a sudden the road was gone. It took a sharp left corner, and straight ahead was a one way street going the wrong direction. By the time I realized what had happened, I would have had to back up to turn on the street, and there was a lot of traffic behind me. I looked ahead, and there was no one coming, so I decided the safest thing to do was just go on forward and turn around in this little parking lot on the right about 50 ft. ahead. No sooner had I begun to implement my plan, however, than the night sky was lit up by red and blue disco lights. I went ahead and pulled into the parking lot and waited for the cop to get out. He was very nice, just asked for my license and registration and if I was lost. I didn't think I was, but when I told him I was heading for Purcellville and he kinda went, "oh, boy," I realized I must be. While he went back to his cruiser to make sure I wasn't some desperate escaped convict on the lam, I figured out what had happened. I had taken 7 alright, but it was 7 West, not East. Oops. Anyway, he explained to me how to get on 7 East from there, which was relatively easy for this area, and I made it back alright. So I didn't get a ticket or anything, but I can't brag to Hannah anymore about not having been pulled over as much as she has been. Drat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you had a nice time at Dr. Sillars and nothing interesting happened...I'm glad I read your blog occasionally...

Ha-ha! Now you have been pulled over much more recently than I have, and for something at least as bad. And you were lost too! =P

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm glad I read it too! :0

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Purcellville cops are good at pulling people over. They scare me far more than Gaithersburg's spate of traffic cameras.

Happened to me twice, both times with tickets...

Anonymous said...

"Flashing lights against the sky,
Giving up I close my eyes,
Sitting cross-legged on the floor;
25 or 6 to 4...

Staring blindly into space,
Getting up to splash my face;
Wanting just to stay awake,
Wondering how much I can take;
Should I try to do some more?
25 or 6 to 4...

Feeling like I ought to sleep,
Spinning room is sinking deep;
Searching for something to say,
Waiting for the break of day;
25 or 6 to 4..."